Moving Tips

How to Update Your License: Alaska

Written by MoveEasy

Changing your address after a move can be a real pain. At MoveEasy we do our best to minimize the hassle of updating your license. The information you will need to update your license in Alaska goes as follows:


Moving from one Alaskan residence to another is a painless process when it comes to notifying your DMV. It can be done either in person, by mail, or online.

If completing in-person or by mail, you will need the following:

  • A Notice of Change Address (Form 401) OR
  • Or a letter that has your AK license number, full name, and signature.

Either option above will need to either be brought to you local Alaska DMV office, or mailed to:

State of Alaska

Division of Motor Vehicles

1300 W. Benson Blvd, Suite 200

Anchorage, AK 99503

This information is only for the DMV to change their records. If you should want a new license that displays your new address, you will need to apply for a duplicate license.


Timeline-wise, coming to Alaska from another state gives you a bit more leniency than other states. Alaskan government allows you up to 90 days until you are required to go through the process of replacing your license.

To transfer your out-of-state license to an Alaskan license, you will need to visit a local Alaskan DMV office and complete the following:

  • Surrender current license
  • Pass a written, driving ($15), and eye exam
  • Provide proof of name, date of birth, Alaskan residency, and social security number
  • Pay a $20 fee

About the author


Leave a Comment

Email *